Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Granny Square anyone?

My Grandma June passed away a little over 2 years ago.  I have many memories of my grandma, but one of them is her love of crocheting.  She made blankets for everyone.  I still have the blanket she made for me.  I got to pick the colors.  It is a pretty simple blanket, dark purple, light purple and white squares. 

I have tinkered with crocheting, here and there.  I made a baby blanket for my son, and one for the surrogate baby I had.  All I could do at the time, was single crochet.  I don't even know if that is what it is called, lol.  I chain a row, and then I go back and add another row on top of that.  Nothing fancy, no little loops, or waves. Just line after line.  I thought I had a picture of the last blanket I made, but I can't seem to locate it. 
Well, on pinterest, I found this rainbow quilt.  It is the coolest looking quilt, and what I wouldn't do to buy it.  I would love to some day, make my own quilt.  The lady who made the quilt, quilts all the time.  So she was giving an example of what to do with your scraps of fabric.  I can totally relate, because when I scrap book, I tend to keep the smallest pieces of paper to use for something else.  Anyway, she was able to use all her scraps to make this rainbow quilt. 
seriously people, how pretty is this quilt, I just love it!!

My daughter loves rainbows.  She even sings this rainbow song.  So I instantly wish I could make her this quilt.  But that would take A. The knowledge of quilting, and B. Lots of Fabric.  Which I have neither of, but I do have a very limited knowledge of crochet.  So I while searching through pinterest, I found these rainbow blankets, that were crocheted.

 But they have this zig zag pattern, which I can't do.  So I decided to look up how to do this on YouTube.  YouTube has quite a selection of how to crochet videos (which surprises me, but I don't know why, lol.  Youtube has everything on there).  I found this one lady, who was so easy to follow, and I figured out how to make a granny square.  Y'all, it was so much easier then I thought. I mean seriously.  I did find a video how to make the zig zag, but it was a tad bit harder, so for now I am staying with the granny!  I have left over yarn, from when I made my last blanket.  Lots of pink yarn, some red and cream.  Lucky for me, we have a new baby coming in the family, and it's a girl, woohoo!!  So I am going to attempt another blanket using granny squares.  I can't wait to see how it will come out.  After that, I will either make my daughter a rainbow blanket using the granny squares, or I will figure out that zig zag pattern.  Here are some pics of my granny squares... I feel so old making those, lol.


Four of the little ones, equal one big one.  So my plan is to have two big ones in a row, and then two sets of four in the same row.  Then the next row, they will be opposite.  So the four little will be under the 1 big.  I will post a pic when I get all done. 

I wish, I would of got this bug to crochet a long time ago, so my grandma could of taught me, how to do some things.  Although, I am sure she is proud that I have figured out how to make my own granny squares.  Anyone else out there, that likes to crochet?  Do you quilt?  How hard is that to learn? 

MJ

1 comment:

  1. Your blanket is purple, go figure. :-) Now I see what you do with those, makes more sense now. According to Kirsten, it's not that hard to quilt, but maybe she was just telling me that? I never got past the figuring out how to work the sewing machine stage.

    ReplyDelete